Reginald Frederick Green

Name: Reginald Frederick Green

Rank: Corporal

Service Number: 2286

Units Served: 27th Infantry Battalion

Personal Details: Reginald Green was born on the 26th of May 1896 near Adelaide, SA. His father was John Green and his mother was Isabella Green but she preferred to be known as Bella. They lived at Stirling Street, West Thebarton, SA. Reginald had 2 brothers, Albert Newsom and David John Green and 4 sisters, Vera Lavinia, Grace, Mavis, Alma and twin sisters, Ella and Reta Green.
Reginald was a labourer at 19 years of age. He served in the Senior Cadets for two years in B Company, 76th Battalion.. Reginald was my great, great, great Uncle.

Enlistment Details:  Reginald enlisted on the 12th of July 1915 in Adelaide, SA at age 19. His first attempt at enlistment was unsuccessful after being rejected as medically unfit from the citizen forces.

Details about his role in War: Reginald Frederick Green attested on the 16th of July 1915 and was taken on at Keswick, SA. He disembarked from Adelaide on the 21st of December 1915 on the HMAT ‘Star of England’ with the 27th Infantry Battalion. Reginald was taken on strength at Mudros, Alexandria on the 29th of December 1915, he disembarked at Mudros on the 10th of January 1916 to 27th Battalion in France. He was wounded in action on the  29th of June 1916. He was admitted from 23rd Field Ambulance to No2. Casualty Clearing Station with GSW (gunshot wounds) to the arms on the 30th of June 1916. On the 2nd of July 1916 he was transferred to England on the hospital ship ‘St. Denis’ and spent from the 29th of July 1916 to the 30th of August 1916 in the Harefield Hospital. Reginald proceeded overseas to France on the ‘Princess Henrietta’ on the 14th of December 1916 and was admitted from England on the 15th. On the 21st of December 1916 he joined the 2nd Australian Divisional Base Depot at Etaples but then proceeded to rejoin 27th battalion on the 23rd. Reginald was admitted to Hospital in Etaples after falling sick with Influenza on the 31st of January 1917. He rejoined 27th battalion on the 7th of March 1917. On the 2nd of April 1917 he was promoted to Lance Corporal but was reverted to Private on the 14th. On the 17th of May he was promoted to temporary Corporal in place of CPL Smith on that same day. On the 2nd of June he was temporary CPL in place of CPL Hunter. On the 18th of September he proceeded to the 7th Training Battalion and was placed on the supernumery list. On the 22nd he marched in from France, and attached for duty with Permanent Cadre of 7th Training Battalion. From the 27th of September to the 27th of October Reginald was attached to the 14th Rifle Course at the School of Musketry in Tidworth, England. There he qualified as second class with a fair working knowledge of the Lewis Gun. On the 8th of November he marched out of 7th Training Battalion and into 6th Training Battalion.
On the 30th of January 1918 he proceeded overseas  from Fovant to France. On the 5th of February he rejoined 27th Battalion in France at Cremarest. From there they proceeded to Sailly-le Sec and on the 11th of June 1918 Reginald was wounded in action with a shrapnel wound to the abdomen. He was admitted to the casualty clearing system in France but sadly passed away at 11:30 pm on the 11th of June 1918 at age 22.

Age at Death: 22 years 

Cemetery or Memorial Details: Vignacourt British Cemetery Grave Ref:III.C.1

Interesting Material: When searching for Reginald’s Embarkation Roll we found that it was under another service number, 2890.