Rupert Tucker

Name; Rupert George Tucker MM

Rank: Lance Corporal

Service Number: 464 

Units Served: 27th Battalion, 7th Machine Gun Company 

Personal details: Rupert George Tucker was born on the 13th of February, 1893 in Birdwood, South Australia. Rupert attended Birdwood Public School. Rupert had brown eyes, brown hair with a fair complexion.

His religion was Methodist, and he worked as a mason at Mannum. He was a son of Samuel and Mary Matilda Tucker of 73 Frederick Street, Maylands, South Australia.
Enlistment details:
Rupert joined when he was 22 years and 1 month on the 21st January 1915 
Details about his role in war:
Rupert embarked from Adelaide, South Australia, on board the HMAT ‘Geelong’ on the 31st May 1915. Rupert embarked in Alexandria on the 4th September 1915 to join the M.E.F at Gallipoli. He was then transferred to the 7th Bde Machine Gun Coy. Rupert was taken on strength not long after and proceeded to join the B.E.F. He fell sick and was admitted with mumps. After a month in hospital he was discharged back to his duties 6th June 1916. On the 11th November 1916 Rupert was wounded in action and was in hospital for another month. On the 3rd of April, 1917 Rupert was awarded a Military Medal on this recommendation - “This N.C.O. was placed in charge of a machine gun in an outpost on the night of 23/24th March 1917. At daybreak his post was shelled, and the infantry attached, evacuated, leaving four wounded. Lance Corporal Tucker refused to leave his post, and remained throughout the day with one man of his crew. Throughout the day his post was subjected to heavy shelling”. On the 11th October 1917 Rupert was wounded again in action. He was admitted to the 2nd Canadian Casualty Clearing Station suffering from bomb wounds to his right arm and right eye. Rupert died of these wounds on the 12th October 1917. His Red Cross file has the following details of his wounding that resulted in his death:
Information provided by Private Clark 597 MGC 7 on the 25th May 1918:
“I saw him and L/C Robertson both hit by the same shell at Zonnebeke. We had the gear up and were just starting to go out of the line. We could not get any S/Bs that night; everyone was busily engaged; and they had to lie out all night. Tucker was hit in the eye – and arm, I think – he was dazed and could not help himself. Serg. Fitzpatrick stayed with them all night. I heard that they both died in hospital”.
Tucker was very small, about 25 as far as I know. He was L/C at the time”.
Age at death: 24 years 2months
Date of death: 12th October 1917
Cemetery and Grave reference: Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. Plot XX. Row J. Grave 19A.

Commemorated by


Cass Neale

8th December 2010