Henry Lewis

Name: Henry Lewis

Rank: Gunner
Service Number: 23068
Units Served: 2nd Brigade Australian Field Artillery
Personal Details: Henry Lewis was born in August 1892 in Morphett Vale, South Australia. He was 5 foot 8 and a half inches tall, weighed 168 pounds and had dark brown hair.
Enlistment Details: Henry enlisted on the 25th of October 1915. He was 23 years and 2 months old at the time.
Details about his role in War: Henry departed aboard the HMAT A8 from Sydney on the 11th of May 1916 and arrived in Davenport on the 10th of July. On the 26th of September 1916 Henry went AWL from 8:30am to 10:30pm and had to forfeited 8 days total pay for the offence. He was then admitted to hospital on the 15th of October with a venereal disease. He spent a total of 48 days in hospital before being discharged on the 1st of December. On the 5th of December he marched out to Park House before proceeding to Larkhill. From there he headed overseas to Etaples France on the 15th of March 1917. He was taken on strength by the 1st Division Artillery on the 29th of March. On the 9th of June he was admitted to the 2nd Field Ambulance with appendicitis. He rejoined his unit on the 7th of July before being detached to St Omer on Picquet duty on the 15th of September. On the 29th he rejoined his unit from detachment. On the 5th of October Henry was transferred to the 2nd Field Artillery Brigade. He was taken on strength and posted to the 6th battery. On the 14th of February 1918 he was granted leave to England before returning to his unit on the 5th of March. Henry was wounded in action on the 21st of March as a result of a gas shell. He was taken to the 2nd Australian Field Ambulance before being transferred to St Omer on the 11th of April. As a result of the gas Henry developed broncho pneumonia. On the 20th of April he was admitted to Norfolk War Hospital. On the 7th of May Henry was transferred from Norfolk and spent the next few months marching in and out of several locations around England before being admitted to Sutton Veny Hospital with serious pneumonia on the 17th of November 1918. He died less than a week later on the 22nd.
Age at Death: 26
Memorial Details: Sutton Veny (St John) Churchyard, United Kingdom

Commemorated by


Hayden Biddle

26th November 2010