Archibald Jago


Rank: Driver

Service Number 5988 / 8894

Units Served: 4th Light Horse Brigade Train, 14th ASC and 2nd Division Train Army Ordinance Corps

Personal Details: Archibald was born ‘Archie’ Leonard Jago on 18th October 1891 at Uroonda. He was the second youngest of 10 children born to Albert and Ellen Jago. His occupation was ‘Grazier’. He was a serving member of the Yanyarri Rifle Club for 2 years.
Enlistment Details: Archie enlisted on the 14th April 1915 at Keswick. He was assigned to 4th Light Horse Brigade Train, 14th ASC.  
Details about his role in War: He embarked from Adelaide on 26th May 1915 on the HMAT ‘Afric’ for the Middle East.  He joined the British Expeditionary Force on 20th of March 1916 in Alexandria. He disembarked at Marseilles on the 28th. He was then temporarily attached to the 20th Battalion in France on the 27th of April. He was then temporarily attached to the 5th Brigade on the 6th of May 1916. On the 29 of June 1916 he was admitted to the 5th Field Ambulance and then transferred on 2nd July to the 3rd Canadian Stationary Hospital at La Nouvelle suffering from Influenza. On the 3rd July he was transferred by the hospital ship ‘Jan Breydel’ to England from Boulogne suffering from Pyrexia of Unknown Origin. He was admitted to the Graylingwell War Hospital on the 14th July. He was discharged to the Australian Army Service Corps Training Depot at Perham Downs on the 1st August 1916. On the 23rd January 1917 he was once again admitted to the Brigade Hospital in England until he was discharged on 18th February and taken on strength with the AASC at Parkhouse. On the 14th March 1917 he was transferred to No. 4 Camp 6th Division Train at Parkhouse until the 1st October 1917 when he was marched out from the 30th ASC at Fovant to the AASC Detachment at Weymouth. He was again admitted sick to hospital on the 20th October 1917, this time to the Monte Video Hospital. On 27th October he marched in from Weymouth and on 17th November 1917 he was marched out from Westham Detachment, on this date he was also allotted a new service number – 8894- as a result of being transferred out of the 4th Light Horse Brigade. During April 1918 he was convicted firstly for breaking out of isolation and secondly for breaking out of camp from the No.2 Convalescent Depot at Weymouth. On the 6th May 1918 proceed to Southampton to rejoin his unit at Havre. He rejoined the 20th Coy. ASC on the 25th May 1918 in the field. Between 4th July 1918 and 28th December he was detached numerous times to other Companies and Batteries. On the 11th January 1919 he was sent to the Australian General Base depot for his return to Australia. On the 12th January he was marched in from the Unit at Havre and returned to England on the 15th. On the 16th he was marched in from France to No.1 C. Dept in Sutton Veny. He was admitted with influenza to the 1st Australian General Hospital at Sutton Veny where he was listed as ‘dangerously ill’. He died of Bronco Pneumonia on the 10th February 1919.
Age at Death: 27 years
Memorial Details: WITLSHIRE 167 Sutton Veny (St. John) Churchyard

Commemorated by


Tristan Smith

26th November 2010