Edward Angove

Name: Edward Laurence Angove

Rank: Lieutenant

Service Number: 8848

Unit Served: 10th Battalion 

Personal Details: Edward was born in Mildenhall in Suffolk, England to William and Emma in 1894. He moved to Australia at the age of 2. He attended the Tea Tree Gully Public School. He was a member of the famous wine and brandy making Angove family and was himself a vigneron by trade. He was married to Dorothy Cotgrave Angove and they had two children. When he enlisted he was 31 years and 9 months old. He was 5'7" tall with a medium complexion, hazel eyes and his hair was brown but going grey. He weighed 147 lbs. He and his family were living in Brighton at the time.

Military Service: Edward enlisted on March 18th, 1916 and was assigned to the 23rd Reinforcement of the 10th battalion. He was immediately sent to NCO School where he spent a fortnight. He was then made a provisional sergeant before receiving a commission as a 2nd Lieutenant on the 16th September 1916. He left Adelaide on the 16th December 1916 aboard the "Berrima" and arrived in Devonport on the 16th February 1917. He fell ill and was admitted to hospital on the 21st February where he stayed until the 3rd April. He then proceeded overseas to France on the 9th July where he joined his battalion on the 21st of that month. On the 19th August he was promoted to Lieutenant and was sent to 1st ANZAC Corps School on the 9th September. He rejoined the battalion on the 28th October and was then sent to 3rd Brigade School on the 21st December, rejoining the battalion once more on the 8th February after 3 weeks leave in England.  During the next few months the battalion was involved in heavy fighting helping to halt the progress of the German Spring offensive in Belgium and France. He spent a week at the Officers' Rest Hostel in early May and remained with his battalion until his death on the 23rd August during the Battle of Albert.

The 10th Battalion was in reserve near Proyart for the 1st Battalion; 2 companies were sent to protect the 1st's left flank of the attack. It came under heavy artillery fire and Edward was killed in the Company Headquarters at 12.45pm when he was hit in the throat by shrapnel from a shell. 

The following artcile appeared in the "Murray Pioneer" on the 6th September 1918.

"The Late Lieut. E. L. Angove"
"August 23 was a fateful day for Renmark; Lieuts. Angove, Sharps and Coombe were all killed on that day. "Ted" Angove did not enlist from Renmark, but he had many associations here. He was in partnership with his brother and managed the Renmark distillery for the firm during its first two years. He was a fine young fellow, an athlete and very popular. His home was at Tea-tree Gully, and he has left a widow and two young children."

DATE OF DEATH: 23rd August 1918


CEMETERY DETAILS: Heath Cemetery, Harbonnieres, France. Plot VII, Row A, Grave 10

Commemorated by


Hayden Biddle

2nd December 2008