Edward Andrew Scott

Name: Edward Andrew Scott

Rank: Private

Service Number: 2405

Untis Served: 6th Reinforcement, 27th Battalion; 4th Reinforcement, 32nd Battalion; 48th Battalion

Personal Details: Edward was born in Meningie in July 1890 to parents Richard and Sarah Scott. He was a labourer and was 5'7" tall with a fair complexion, blue eyes and fair hair. At the time of his enlistment he weighed 148lbs.

Military Service: Edward appears to have enlisted twice, the first time on the 26th July, 1915 and the second on the 29th August. Initially he was allocated to the 6th Reinforcement of the 27th Battalion. He was then allocated to the 4th Reinforcement of the 32nd Battalion. He must have confused the military somewhat as there are two records of him embarking Adelaide. The first of these has him aboard the "Benalla" on the 27th October, 1915 (coincidently the same day his brother Archibald left Melbourne aboard the "Ulysses") and the second aboard the "Mongolia" on the 9th March, 1916. Both entries have the same next of kin, being his mother Sarah Scott.

However he got there he was taken on strength by the 48th Battalion on the 19th April, 1916 at Serapeum. He then boarded the "Caledonia" at Alexandria on the 2nd  of June and arrived in Marseilles on the 9th. He entered battle for the first time on the 5th August at Pozieres and the following day was wounded in action with a gunshot wound to the neck. He was sent to England for treatment. He was released from hospital on the 14th September to Purham Downs and given furlough on the 18th. He must have enjoyed himself as he arrived back about 4 days late on the 3rd October. For his absence he was confined to camp for 7 days and forfeited 4 days pay. He returned to France and rejoined the 48th Battalion on the 19th December 1916. He would have spent much of the winter of 1916 - 1917 in the trenches.

In April 1917, the 48th Battalion was involved in the First Battle of Bullecourt, which was a disaster for the battalion with 142 men being killed in action or dying of their wounds in the few days after.

In June the battalion was in reserve for the Battle of Messines. Edward would have witnessed the massive explosions as 19 huge mines were blown under the German lines.

The battalion was also involved in heavy fighting in September and October of 1917 particularly in the Battle of Passchendaele on the 12th October when another 107 men were killed in action.

Edward was given leave in January 1918 and spent time in England before returning to his unit on the 2nd February.

Late March of that year saw the German Army launch its last ditch bid for victory with a "Spring Offensive". On the 28th March the battalion was holding the line in the face of the German advance on the Albert to Amiens road near Millencourt. During that day Edward Andrew Scott received a gun shot wound to the skull. He lived for a further 2 days but on the 30th March he died of his wounds at the 20th General Hospital in Camiers. He was buried in the Etaples Military Cemetery.

Age at Death: 27

Date of Death: 30th March, 1918

Cemetery Details: Etaples Military Cemetery Plot XXXIII, Row B, Grave 16.


Commemorated by



30th November

Hamish Jurgs